Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Keepin' it Simple

Hey, everyone!!  Here's a post that I shared on the AWDML Blog last week!

Happy Scrappy Wednesday, everyone!! Today I want to share a layout where my mission was to use the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid!). In other words, I wanted to get the basics on the page with out any added frills.

My son had the opportunity to try water skiing a few weeks ago. I had a terrible (and painful) experience with my first try at waterskiing and it was a LONG time before I was comfortable to try again. So, I was pretty nervous for him to try it. For his first attempt I was in the boat with my camera at the ready while my uncle and cousin helped him in the water. The boat took off and he came SO close to getting up. He hung on for the longest time and seemed like all he needed to do was stand up. But, alas, he ended up not quite making it. As you may be able to tell from the photos, his lifejacket was too big which may have been part of the issue.

 
 You can see that I incorporated several different patterned papers, banner-style cut papers and scalloped edges. I also matted the photos, included a title, the date, the location and the word "proud." I felt that the photos, the title and the small details told the story without needing to add journaling. Then a few simple, subtle lines around the border of the paged helped to tie everything together.
Here's a close up of the photos. I still can't believe how close he got on his first try!


Just to note: We did change his lifejacket to a better fitting one after this first try and there aren't many more photos since I was in the water helping for the next attempts (my daughter had my camer and enjoyed taking photos of a big dragon fly rather than her brother's attemts at skiing). He held on so long the first time that we were now in the middle of the lake, so I jumped off the side of the boat and helped. Those teenage years as a lifeguard came in handy!

Thanks for stopping by today! I hope you enjoyed my simple layout and are inspired to try a simple one of your own!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!